BeeGFS (formerly FhGFS) is the leading parallel cluster file system, developed with a strong focus on performance and designed for very easy installation and management. If I/O intensive workloads are your problem, BeeGFS is the solution.
BeeGFS transparently spreads user data across multiple servers. By increasing the number of servers and disks in the system, you can simply scale performance and capacity of the file system to the level that you need, seamlessly from small clusters up to enterprise-class systems with thousands of nodes.
- BeeGFS offers maximum performance and scalability on various levels. It supports distributed file contents with flexible striping across the storage servers on a by file or by directory base as well as distributed metadata.
- BeeGFS is easy to use and requires no kernel patches (the client is a patchless kernel module, the server components are userspace daemons). It comes with graphical cluster installation tools and allows you to add more clients and servers to the running system whenever you want it.
- The built-in BeeGFS Buddy Mirroring automatically replicates data, handles storage server failures transparently for running applications and provides automatic self-healing when a server comes back online, efficiently resyncing only the files that have changed while the machine was offline.
- One of the most fundamental concepts of BeeGFS is the strict avoidance of architectural bottle necks. Striping file contents across multiple storage servers is only one part of this concept.
- Another important aspect is the distribution of file system metadata (e.g., directory information) across multiple metadata servers. Large systems and metadata intensive applications in general can greatly profit from the latter feature.
- No specific enterprise Linux distribution or other special environment is required to run BeeGFS. BeeGFS client and servers can even run on the same machine to enable performance increases for small clusters or networks.
- BeeGFS requires no dedicated file system partition on the servers – It uses existing partitions, formatted with any of the standard Linux file systems, e.g. XFS or ext4. For larger networks, it is also possible to create several distinct BeeGFS file system partitions with different configurations.
BeeGFS is ideal for:
- University researchers
- Enterprise/Fortune 1000 customers
- Financial companies and fintech organizations
- Customers seeking any of the following or a combination of:
- High performance
- Global namespace access
Advanced HPC is well suited to provide BeeGFS solutions because we are able to optimize hardware and architect complete turnkey solutions. Moreover, we have extensive experience deploying BeeGFS and providing ongoing support.